Troy Ancient City
Fought over for thousands of years & included now on UNESCO’s World Cultural Heritage list, Troy continues to inspire us with its history. Over the millennia the Dardanelles strait has been the scene of countless wars owing to its strategic position between two continents (Europe & Asia) & two seas (the Mediterranean & the Black Sea). From the Trojan War, thought to have taken place in 1180 B.C. & chronicled by the Anatolian epic poet Homer in his immortal Iliad, to the Battle of Gallipoli in the First World War, the purpose has always been the same: to rule East & West by controlling the Dardanelles.
06:00 Transfer vehicle will begin the circuit around the hotels for pickups. We ask that customers be ready at reception of hotel for transfer to Eceabat.
Pickups between 6 & 7am, depending on number of customers from each hotel..
07:00 Transfer to Eceabat by TJS TOUR bus.
12.00 Arrive in Eceabat where you will be met by the staff of TJs TOURS.
Tour departs at 12.30 am from TJs Hotel in Eceabat where you will cross the famous Dardanelle waters and proceed to the ancient site of Troy, 36km south of Çanakkale.
Our local english speaking guide will tour you around the 9 city ruins on the site of Troy explaining the people from the era, their houses and culture and the reason for the final destruction of each city.
The commentary is filled with mythical stories of the site and surrounding areas while filling you in on the history of the excavations, the excavators and their findings.
At the site you’ll be shown around:
– A replica of the wooden horse that you can climb into for a photo.
– Excavation information centre which holds exhibits from the work underway.
– The fortification walls of Troy Vl with its tower and gateway entrance.
– Temple of Athena – the focal point of a great annual festival in honour of the goddess Athena.
– Schliemann’s trench – the discoverer of Troy?
– The entrance ramp to Troy ll.
– The sanctuary – an important religious centre of its time.
– The odeon – intended for the presentation of musical performances.
– Current excavations in progress.
Transfer back to Istanbul by TJs Tours bus.
– Professional English speaking guide.
– All transportation including ferry ride and private bus.
– Entrance fee.
– 1 Lunch
Times change according to the season & weather conditions.